Virginia Neely Sweet
(1923 – 2012)
Virginia Neely Sweet taught art for over 40 years in pottery, collage, oil, acrylic, watercolor, printmaking, paper-making, book construction, sculpture, drawing, and pastel.
She brought her passion for teaching and encouraging the love of art to community youth, and the young at heart, regardless of education, age, or experience. Virginia served as President of BAA 1979-1980 and conducted bake sales, art sales, and raised funds for BAA’s scholarship fund.
BAA is proud to carry on her tradition of awarding scholarships to art students.
BAA Art Senior Scholarships in honor of Virginia Neely Sweet
Last year BAA awarded Virginia N. Sweet Memorial Scholarships of $3,000 to three graduating high school seniors: Bridgette Bulleigh, Mabel Glock, and Chandler Henderson.
- Be a member of BAA
Join by going to www.
bartlesvilleartassociation.org Membership for students 9th through 12th grade is free.
- Enter either one or two pieces in the BAA Spring Show. It’s free for students 9th through 12th grade. Prospectus is on our web site. Bartlesvilleartassociation.org
- Compile a digital portfolio with 5 artworks and a description of each.
- A word document or pdf file with a personal artist statement. This should be several paragraphs but not more than a page and touch on your belief in how art has shaped you as a person, student, and citizen.
- A word document or pdf file with a statement on the student’s strengths as a student, artist and citizen. Please include how this scholarship will aid you towards your higher education goals.
- Please include a one page letter of recommendation from your current art teacher, a past art teacher, or a non-related adult.